Monday, November 21, 2011

Shantaram by Gregory Roberts.

As I just start typing with my fingers, a moment ago laying to rest on my side table Shantaram; a book, I have been reading since last almost 6 months. Work chores and some rest of other things kept me busy all along.

I used to stare at it from a distance, stacked amongst books on the shelf, as it laid for days together, untouched. Days when work used to get stressful and coming home meant few hours of sleep. Shantaram is a humongous novel of almost 1000 pages. There were times when I used to get weary of this book. Times when I didn't disturb it for weeks. And then there were times when I just couldn't keep my eyes off it. Word after word; page after page. The book offers much. At one spectrum it fondles you with emotions; a philosopher's percussion it acts sometimes; a benevolent virtuosity still at other times. The book at some other level of pneuma, which is why I enjoyed reading it precisely, allows you to open a thought process parallel to the protagonist - Lin : as good and evil are given a judicious auditory. Lin drives his life on the edge battling within against what is right and what is wrong; taking reconciliation in philanthropy. Urging that redemption lies in forgiving. Power lies in controlling anger and that there is no greater colossal high than being in love.

I will miss Shanataram.

No comments:

Post a Comment